Since 1979, Belvedere citizens have been nominating exceptional community volunteers for the Citizen of the Year award. Belvedere is blessed with many hardworking individuals who make our community tick, whether volunteering in an official government capacity, serving in one of Belvedere's many community groups, or working individually.
In 1991, the Citizen Emeritus Award was established to honor hardworking citizens, usually senior citizens, not already recognized with a Citizen of the Year award.
This year’s awards will be recognized at the City’s Annual Meeting in early 2024.
Here is a list of past winners.
For more information, please get in touch with the Citizen of the Year Board Chair, Peyton Stein.
2023 Nominations Now Open!
The City of Belvedere is now accepting nominations for the 2023 Citizen of the Year and the 2023 Citizen Emeritus! All nominations are confidential. The Citizen of the Year Committee, made up of previous winners, makes the selection and will never disclose who has been nominated or by whom, just the ultimate winners.
Nominees for Citizen of the Year should meet the following criteria:
- Current Belvedere resident for at least five years.
- Significant contributions to Belvedere's well-being for several years through community service, the arts, local government, and more.
- Contributions to greater Marin County and the Bay Area also considered.
- Past recipients and current City Council and Planning Commission members are ineligible.
- If applicable, two individuals (or spouses) may be nominated as a team.
Nominees for Citizen Emeritus should meet the following criteria:
- Current Belvedere resident for at least ten years.
- Usually a senior citizen, but not required.
- Significant contribution to the community, potentially more specific in nature.
- If applicable, two or more individuals (or spouses) may be nominated as a team as Citizens Emeriti.
Nominations will be accepted through November 20, 2023.
Citizen of the Year & Citizen Emeritus Nomination Form
Please complete the form below or email the City Clerk to make a nomination.