Dear Belvedere Residents,
At Monday’s City Council meeting the Coyote Task Group presented a progress report on their work. As part of the City’s commitment to keeping you informed, I’d like to highlight a few key points of this update and to further let you know what the City of Belvedere is doing to address the increase in coyote activity in our community.
Our primary goal is to develop a comprehensive management plan which describes guidelines and policies to keep Belvedere residents safe by reducing human-coyote conflicts. As a first step toward this goal, we are contracting with wildlife professionals to conduct a Coyote Activity Assessment and map of shelter areas, denning sites, and locations of possible attractants. Work will begin this month and we expect to have results within the next 30-45 days.
While this survey is conducted, we are also proceeding with the following measures:
1) We are working to improve how incidents and sightings are reported. Adding a coyote hotline and a web-enabled reporting system.
2) We’ve developed a Yard Attractant Checklist CLICK HERE to help residents look for and eliminate food, water, and shelter that attract coyotes.
3) We are providing expert training for our first responders and volunteers so we have a viable Coyote Response Team available.
4) Our Public Works Department has begun an audit of city-owned properties to identify and address attractants that could be encouraging coyotes to stay in Belvedere.
5) We are investigating what Belvedere can do legally and practically to manage the coyote population in our community. Questions relating to environmental issues, legality, public safety, effectiveness, and cost are all being investigated and considered.
One of the most important things we can all do right away is to check our surroundings to make sure we eliminate any attractants that are perhaps bringing coyotes in conflict with people. Please use the Coyote Yard Attractant Checklist that is linked above to check your property. If you need assistance, please call City Hall (415-435-3838) and we can schedule someone to help you with this review.
Thank you again for your participation and cooperation,
Belvedere City Manager
Please sign-up now to receive updates, e-newsletters, and important City news and information. Go to www.cityofbelvedere.org and click on “Join Newsletter” to add your email address. If you need further help, send an email to email@example.com asking to be added to the City email list.