The Public Works Department works diligently to keep Belvedere residents safe including:
- During the leaf drop season and following wind events, the Public Works crew inspects all storm drains and cleans inlet grates to ensure the city drainage system is prepared to accept water.
- Prior to and during rain events, the Public Works crew patrols the drainage system to ensure leaf and debris accumulations are removed to prevent flooding.
- Throughout the rainy season, in addition to scheduled Friday sweeping, the street sweeper targets specific areas around town to remove leaf and debris that could possibly wash onto the grates and into storm drains.
- Additionally, staff monitors “hot spots” that require more frequent maintenance during peak rain events to avoid flooding due to the undersized nature of the drainage system.
Inclement Weather Items
The following is a list of items that the department frequently reviews prior to expected inclement weather to be prepared for anemergency response:
- Additional Fuel storage
- Back up supply of sand bags at Corp Yard - prepared
- Chainsaws and equipment - fueled and prepared
- Emergency generators and pumps - inspected and prepared
- Sand Bag stations - Inspected and at capacity. (Maybridge, West Shore Road, Community Road)
- Storm drain inlets - Clean and clear, monitored during working hours.
- Vehicles fuel - Tanks will be filled and ready to respond